Saturday, January 31, 2009

Curing the Cask

The cask was full of water for about four days. I have emptied it and I am curing it with brandy. I am using E&J V.S.O.P. Select Reserve. I did not completely fill it, so I will rotate it every so often about a quarter of a turn. Next Friday or Saturday I will take the brandy out and fill it with the tawny port. It is a very cheap port. I think Boone's Farm was more expensive. I will add a little red wine, a touch of brandy and a touch of bourbon. For the brandy, I will use some that was removed from the cask. For the red wine, I don't know what I will use. For the bourbon, I will use Evan Williams Single Barrel. I will let this sit for about a week and then taste it. I am excited to see how it comes out. The port is so cheap that if it does not come out very good I am not out much of anything. I will give it at least three weeks before I make a final determination.

No comments:

Post a Comment